Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 6, 2006

On becoming Shrek-like

Pregnancy is such an interesting state to be in. Everything changes. I'm not just talking about my view of the world, putting my baby first and all of those things that you hear about. I am talking about my ever-expanding body. While there is the obvious expansion of my belly, which can be disconcerting in and of itself, there is also the expansion of my feet, hands, ribs, hindquarters and even an increase in the volume of my hair. For example, I purchased a new bra (something that apparently happens frequently throughout these 10 months) and within 2 weeks, it did not fit. No, my breasts are not that amazing, my ribcage just expanded by about 2 inches. Just like that. My shoes do not really fit anymore, even on the days that my office is not 80 degrees, causing swelling and making me look like an old lady. This is all very odd to me. It sort-of makes sense on a biological level (though I am not sure how bigger feet will help me to give birth or be a better mother), but this sudden Shrek-ness is, well, kind of icky. While I was never what you would call svelte to begin with, I am slowly seeing my dreams of having a cute little "basketball pregnancy" float away on the wind. Maybe I need to actually watch Shrek to assure myself that it is, in fact, the inside that counts. And right now, on my inside is Ella.

No comments: