Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

...and the marsupials have it by a pouch!

At this point in pregnancy, I am enjoying my belly. It is obvious that I am pregnant, but I can still move without waddling. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night, just feeling the roundness of my new belly and smile. I can still pass as "cute". It is kind of fun.

But I have about 3 1/2 months to go, which makes me start considering other "options" of obtaining the baby I so deeply desire. First, I thought laying an egg would have been a great way to go. Scott and I could care for the little one ala March of the Penguins. He could sit on the egg while I go to work, he would get to bond more intimately with our yet-to-be-born child, and I could spare myself some bodily distortion. But... I would miss out on feeling her move and grow and dance. And then there is the long trek for food after months of starvation. No good.

So I thought about it, and I watched Ellen one day (with guest Jack Hannah) and it hit me. Marsupials. Just be a kangaroo. Genius. They give birth, I can only imagine painlessly, to a teeny, tiny naked little baby that crawls out of the birth canal, up the front of the mom and into the pouch. (How they even know it has happened is beyond me.) Then, the little one attaches itself to the nipple and hangs out until he/she is ready to venture out for a while and then he/she comes right back for a snuggle. The kangaroo mom feels the baby move, can look in to see how it is progressing, (does it look like her, does it have dad's nose), and really avoids the traumas of labor and delivery. Not that I am questioning God's infinite wisdom, but it says right in the Bible that I cannot understand His ways. So I ponder the kangaroo, and I think, "too right!"

No comments: