Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Public enemy no. 1

Our little one is feeling quite a bit better today. Her fever is no longer at a level where I am on continual alert for febrile seizures and she is much more her usual self.

However, judging by the lovely substance emanating from her nostrils, it seems that she also has a sinus infection. I now find myself wishing that I had a holster for the nasal aspirator because I keep leaving it in odd places and she finds herself shrieking and squirming quite a bit when she sees it coming at her once again. She hates it and my many attempts at the Mom Speech of "It's Good For You/I'm Only Doing This Because I Love You/You'll Feel So Much Better When It's Over" don't seem to be making a bit of difference to her. (Amazing how automatic those speeches are, isn't it?) Of course, try as I might, I have not found a way to sneak the thing up on her. So, I end up restraining her, she squirms, and I inevitably end up jamming it up her nose at an alarming velocity. Oops. Add in the preparatory squirts of saline and we have ourselves quite a messy, unhappy child. I feel horrible, and wish she were at the age where I could just say, "Blow!" and she would comply and fill a tissue herself.
Alas, the nasal aspirator has surpassed the post-meal dampened washcloth as Ella's most hated object.

No comments: