My
mom, too, made my Halloween costumes. Not once did I wear a plastic costume from ToysRUs with a mask of Wonder Woman rubber-banded onto my head. Oh no, I was a little Dutch girl (complete with yellow yarn braids and "wooden" shoes, thank you), a clown, a Native American princess (just plain Indian princess back then), and one particularly lean (financially) and creative year, some sort of alien. My brothers were Ghostbusters, Hans (or Franz, I am not sure which), and one was once a tube of toothpaste with a lampshade on his head for the cap (maybe that is the answer, Bek!). So here I am, approaching my daughter's first Halloween and there is not a lick of creativity in my bones.
mom, too, made my Halloween costumes. Not once did I wear a plastic costume from ToysRUs with a mask of Wonder Woman rubber-banded onto my head. Oh no, I was a little Dutch girl (complete with yellow yarn braids and "wooden" shoes, thank you), a clown, a Native American princess (just plain Indian princess back then), and one particularly lean (financially) and creative year, some sort of alien. My brothers were Ghostbusters, Hans (or Franz, I am not sure which), and one was once a tube of toothpaste with a lampshade on his head for the cap (maybe that is the answer, Bek!). So here I am, approaching my daughter's first Halloween and there is not a lick of creativity in my bones.Sure, I could make her a pumpkin, cat, or bunny easily enough. But there is just no pizazz in those. No spunk. Nothing special. As I thumb through my magazines, I see simple homemade costumes but feel no love for them. So I have done the unthinkable. I have purchased a ready-made Halloween costume. Yes, I hear the collective gasp from you all. But I just can't do it. I do not have the energy. That, and I think I am fulfilling that deep, quiet childhood part of me that always wanted that Wonder Woman costume.
This brings me to my next point. There is a legacy that my Mom is
making of homemade bread and jam, home-cooked family dinners every night, sewing clothes and even making Cabbage Patch dolls that I am not carrying on very well. Much of this legacy has been formed while trying hard to make ends meet when I was a kid, and I know that. But it is almost a part of my DNA now to want to do those things. The biggest difference between me now and my mom then?? I work.
making of homemade bread and jam, home-cooked family dinners every night, sewing clothes and even making Cabbage Patch dolls that I am not carrying on very well. Much of this legacy has been formed while trying hard to make ends meet when I was a kid, and I know that. But it is almost a part of my DNA now to want to do those things. The biggest difference between me now and my mom then?? I work.I always thought I would be a partial reincarnation of June Cleaver. Even while getting my doctorate, I pictured myself as a full-time stay-at-home mom. I'd have the house clean every day, meals on the table by 6, perfect flower beds, crafts for the kiddies every afternoon and my 6-month-old would not even know who the heck Dora the Explorer is because I would magically shower while she was taking the perfect late-morning nap. Ha! You would think that a psychologist would recognize a delusional fantasy when she is having one.
The more I do this Mom thing, however, the more I realize that the only way a woman will "have it all" is if that "all" includes a nanny, cook, housekeeper, and possibly chauffeur. I don't want those things. I want what I have, really, and need to remind myself that just because I do not knead our bread, I am not a bad mom. Ella has 2 full weekdays with me and weekends with Scott and I and she also gets to spend 2 partial days with my parents and a few hours one day with her aunt and cousin. I wouldn't trade my childhood with an at-home mom for anything, but I live a different life and am a new hybrid of 50's housewife and post-70's career woman. Ella will see what it is like for a mom to balance work, home and relationships. And if I can help it, she will feel loved and secure and will know that I am always, always here for her.
I am sure that we will make jam sometimes, because I love to do it. I will
certainly offer to teach her to knit and cross-stitch and garden and bake and she will absolutely know the proper way to hang clothes on the line in the summer. I will pass down to her my housekeeping "bible". But I will never be June Cleaver. I don't own a strand of pearls, and if I did, I would not wear them to make meatloaf on Tuesday night. And Ella's first Halloween will not be spent in a homemade costume. I'm sure the guilt will pass.
certainly offer to teach her to knit and cross-stitch and garden and bake and she will absolutely know the proper way to hang clothes on the line in the summer. I will pass down to her my housekeeping "bible". But I will never be June Cleaver. I don't own a strand of pearls, and if I did, I would not wear them to make meatloaf on Tuesday night. And Ella's first Halloween will not be spent in a homemade costume. I'm sure the guilt will pass.


2 comments:
I need more baby pics!!!!!!!! Its been awhile!!!!!
Um, yeah... and your blog is so up to date! There will be LOTS of pics after we get back from Holland, I promise!
Post a Comment