Last night, while ending one of my multiple trips to the bathroom, I opened the door and it got stuck on my belly and I hit my head on the edge of the door. This was mildly funny. On most days, I may have giggled and moved on. However, last night it triggered the absolute strangest pregnancy/hormone symptom that I have -- a fit of hysterical laughter. I laughed so hard that my stomach was killing me. I could not breathe. I snorted and chuckled and made silly sounds like Ernie from Sesame Street as tears streamed down my face. After the first few minutes, Scott was getting irritated (not that I blame him, it was pretty annoying after a while). I wanted to go downstairs to let him go to sleep, but was afraid I would fall because I could barely move. When I was finally able to calm down, there were "aftershocks" of full-on laughter that would hit me for a few seconds and then die down. It was so weird and has happened a few times in the past few months with last night by far being the worst of them all.
This is, as best as I can guess, what it is like to have a mild bout of true, clinical mania where people laugh and laugh for no reason. In my head, I was fairly calm, watching T.V., wishing that I could lay down and go to sleep and really not finding anything funny. On the outside, I was a hysterical, shaking, laughing mess. Have you ever laughed really hard without finding anything funny? It is really weird. Made me feel just a little nuts. I can most liken it to having the hiccups. You don't want them, but there they are. Ella must have wondered what on earth was going on! It seems to me that it has to be hormones. This has only happened to this extent during the end of my pregnancy and far outdoes any teenage girl giggle fits that I have ever had. Thankfully, it has only happened in front of Scott and my brothers and sister-in-law so far.
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
that's weird. I had a laughing fit last night and I am definitely NOT pregnant!!!!!!!!! Mine wasn't quite as bad as yours sounds though.
sounds like one of the better results of crazy pregnancy hormones.
Post a Comment