I am going to hop on my psychological soapbox here for a quick minute...
We were fortunate to be able to spend time this weekend with Matt & Val and Ty & Charity and all of the kids (more on the visit in another post). Val, Charity and I all took a little teasing from the guys on our enjoyment of blogs and they were informally trying to decide which one of us deserved the title "Queen Blogger". We all have different blogging styles, but the common denominator is this: connection. I don't really think that the guys are that annoyed, but the conversations brought to mind that the place that connection with others holds in one's identity is often a basic difference between men and women.
Scott, Ty and Matt are very connected to other people and are wonderful men with pure hearts. We all love them. But they do not understand why we enjoy spending time updating others on our lives and looking at the happenings of others' lives (sometimes even those we don't know). I think it is simply the importance that we as women place on our connectedness with others, understanding others and the subsequent fact that the value that this connection can hold for our sense of selves. Yes, this can often lead to additional "drama" (as the kids would say these days) and may be why women are more susceptible to depression. But it is who we are.
So for all of you women out there who wish your husbands would contribute to the family blog, look at pictures of your friends' kids online or stop hasseling you about blogging in general, know that it may just never happen and that you have a sisterhood out here in cyber space!
And now, I am off to look at more blogs for a minute...
Saturday, August 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
We get into this with Ty once in a while and I would have to agree. Although, I will say that Tony does like to look at other's blogs. He would probably even blog more himself if he had more time.
I think it is connection and perhaps, when I am reading a strangers blog, even a morbid curiosity. I mean, there isn't really another medium out there where one can catch a glimpse into someone elses personal life. If it's someone I know, I read it because I care about them and I can't pick up a phone every day and see what's going on. This an easy way keep in touch. Connection is definitely key.
When it comes to someone like Ty, I don't know Scott or Matt well enough to know if this is true for them. Ty is in fellowship with people at the church every day. He gets to talk with them, mentor, be mentored etc...right there at his job. A lot of bloggers are stay at home moms. Where else are we going to connect? Which fits in with why Tony likes to blog. He's strapped to a desk all day...where else is he going to connect?
Kelli,
After I posted, I almost went back to add the point about moms being a large part of the blogging community (other than teens, but they are a different species altogether). I think you are right. I get to connect with people at my job all day, too, but I don't get to express my personal self at all, so this is a place for me to do that. And I get to hear about others' lives at work, but it is not my friends and family. So when I am tired and worn out, it is nice to be able to check in with people who are probably getting kids in bed at that time of day.
Your trip blog is a great example of a man posting -- they post with a purpose. We post because we can. Thanks for the support, sista!
Post a Comment