One day last week, she said something ... don't remember what, but one of the words ended up coming out sounding like "hate". She sat there for a minute and then said, "Hate is not a nice word and God does not like it when we say that, so you should get a time out when you say that." Ooooookay... I get it, but I have never heard her say that word before and have never had such a talk with her. And if I did, I would likely not bring God into it.
So yesterday, we were in the car and she told me that when you get sick it is because God is mad at you. ???? I have to confess that I did not handle this one well. I got all Mama Bear and asked who told her that. All I managed to do was freak her out and make her think I was mad at her. Not anything I EVER want to do to her. Sorry, baby.
And then today, when we were out shopping, I realized I had forgotten something I needed and said, "Stink!" She told me that stink is not a nice word and God doesn't like it when we talk like that.
My guess is that she is picking this all up at church. Not that she is directly being taught these things by her teachers, but that she is putting her own little twist on things that she hears. I often wonder what parents who are new to church think when their toddlers come out of Sunday School class. Ella is pretty articulate, but even so, she can really mangle the retelling of a "classic". And I have to tell you, I was really thankful that it was winter when she was telling us how Jesus put mud in the man's eye to and then he could see better. I had visions of her "helping" Benjamin see better in the backyard sandbox one afternoon. God love her (and please don't make her sick). ( :



No comments:
Post a Comment