Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Baby communication

I am so used to Ella's freakishly good communication skills that poor Benjamin is suffering the consequences. This is not to say that he is a poor communicator. I am sure that he is quite good at it. It's just that I need to adjust my expectations about what communication is. I've probably blogged about this before... if so, please bear with me.

This morning, Benjamin was loud. Just loud, it seemed, and I couldn't figure out what his deal was. Firstly, he wanted to color -- just like his big sister. I initially projected that desire onto him, but once we gave him a pad of paper and a marker (Color Wonder -- we've at least learned that much), he smiled and started trying to color. So that's what all the fuss was about.

Then he was loud again. Scott suggested that he may want to eat. I looked at Benjamin and asked him (verbally and in sign language) if he wanted some milk and he smiled and made a happy noise. I love that he is understanding us and letting us know that he does. We have always talked to our kids as if they understand us, ask them questions, tell them what is going on around them. It is very fun and rewarding when they start showing signs of "getting it"!

So Ben is actually rather astute and I just need to re-remind myself that he communicates pretty clearly in grunts and squeals and smiles -- as long as I am paying attention!

Oh... and last night, he was playing with Ella's laptop. It was so cute. He'd open it, "type", then close it. Over and over and over for about 10 minutes straight. If I can get the video to load, I'll add it later.

1 comment:

Grandpa Don said...

Ben was playing with the computer Tuesday AM. Ella was busy doing something else an I had him with me an that is what he was doing then. I did get a couple of photo's of him doing this with your camera.