Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 28, 2007

In the in-between

I thought that now that I am a Mom, I would get to hang with the other Moms and do mom things. Not so much. Today, at Caleb's birthday party, I found myself in an in-between place. Before, I would hang more with the guys. It was just easier. We were having trouble conceiving and it was really hard to sit and listen to endless conversation about whose kid was doing what this week. Even if it was really interesting, having absoluetly nothing to contribute to the conversation was just another reminder that I did not have a child.

Now I have a beautiful daughter and today I found myself between groups. The older kids are a bit too loud for Ella and the sun is a little too bright, which banishes us from the Moms and kids. With a baby I am just a little too conspicuous to really try and blend in with the men, even if I can fairly respectably hold up my end of an NFL conversation (for a girl). So Ella and I sat on the porch and enjoyed the breezes. It was a nice day and an even nicer party for little Caleb who was having a blast. I know that it will not be long before I am in the midst of the little kid chaos and able to hang with the other Moms. The move is just a little slower than I had imagined.

3 comments:

Charity Lemke said...

I sooo remember this time with the first. Feeling a little displaced, in your own little bubble newborn world. Enjoy it, it won't last long.

kelli said...

Jen, I remember this too. I specifically remember being at the beach with a bunch of moms. I was in the water chasing a 1 and a half year old, sporting a giant belly, and watching as all the other moms, layed on the beach chatting. Trust me, once you get to lay on the beach, you sort of wish you were in the water. It's really weird!

Jen said...

Well.... I guess we have a tendency to want what we can't have, don't we? At least it is not just me... I was feeling weird. So I'll just try to enjoy wherever I am and know that you other Moms understand.