Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 15, 2007

The saga continues...

I fear that I am losing the breast-feeding battle. Ella has not even gained 2 pounds in the last 10 weeks and my supply is just going down, down, down. She needs a good 4 ounces every 2-3 hours and I am producing a measly 2 ounces most of the time. I drink water, I eat, I drink more water.

If you have never had this experience, let me tell you, it is maddening. The information as to how to remedy the problem is conflicing at best. Feed both sides multiple times in each feeding, supplement an ounce or two that has been pumped, then pump (this takes a good 40 minutes total). BUT, don't pump less than two hours before the next feeding and excessive pumping may actually decrease the milk supply. Excuse me, but WHAT THE HELL? Oh, and also, maintain a surplus of frozen milk for the days that I work. Thank goodness I am fortunate enough to only work two days right now.

I am panicking a bit, worrying a lot and about to cry and/or lose my mind. Have I pushed my body too hard to go back to work and finish school? Am I not resting enough? Is there something that I am missing??? My kid, God bless her, has to have been going hungry and has been very cheerful through it all. But let me tell you, after nursing, she simply gulps down the additional milk. Poor kid. The doctors are monitoring her weight again.

I need a nap. And a beer sounds good, too. I've hear that it increases milk production...

No comments: