Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, September 11, 2009

What Daddy and Mommy do at work

Veggie Tales is on TV now and we record it each week for Ella. In honor of fall, this past Saturday's show had it all... a Silly Song called "School House Polka" featuring a teacher and a football skit featuring a Mike Ditka look-alike. It was pretty cool. The Silly Song was about homophones with "previews" of songs about pronouns, prepositions, interjections, etc. It was actually quite cute. We had Scott watch it because it seemed fourth-grade-ish. I told Ella, "Look, it's Larry being a teacher like Daddy!" She thought that was pretty funny, and so did I, imagining Scott bounce around playing the accordion.

Well, Ella has taken off with the concept of Scott as Veggie. First, it was, "Daddy, you were on
the TV and you had silly hair and you were singing homophones!" Then, this morning, she asked where Daddy is. With great sadness, I told her he is at work and that he has to work a lot more now. She brightly asked, "Is he being Larry today?" Hmmm.... I guess so. First, I thought that this was a good way for her to understand some of what he does. Then I got to thinking how I could explain to her what I do. I have told her I am a "talking doctor", which means nothing to her. Then I realized... if Scott is Larry, then I must be Archibald Asparagus from the Silly Song "I Love My Lips" in which Larry is on the couch talking to his therapist. Will she now imagine me as an uptight stalk of asparagus when I go to work tomorrow?? I think I'd rather be Larry... I'll add this to the list of reasons why I should have been a teacher.

No comments: