Ella was unimaginably brave at today's doctor's appointment... talking to the doctor, hamming it up with Grandma and the nurses. She even had a talk with her stuffed moose on the way to the office, telling him if he was brave, he would get Tigger, Pooh and Dora stickers (which is true -- Grandma keeps her well stocked). But when we got home and I had to give her some medicine, she just couldn't take it anymore. Watching my little girl at the end of her rope and struggling to pull it together just tore out my heart. She was sobbing, with tears running down her pink little cheeks. But as much as I wanted to let her curl up on my lap, skip the meds and rest, I had to make sure she took her full dose and put her in her crib for a more beneficial sleep.
So far, making Ella do what is best for her has not been overwhelmingly difficult. But a little kid just should not be so worn out and my "I'm doing this because it's good for you" and my "come here and cry in my arms" instincts are definitely at odds with each other.



2 comments:
Sometimes it just made me feel a little bit better to know I wasn't the only one that has had to endure those feelings. Hang in there. Hopefully, they'll be few and far between.
Thanks, Kelli.
Post a Comment