Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Why bother?

I am so not a political person and really do not ever discuss politics, but something has been on my mind lately and today seemed like a good day to just let it fly.

Why am I bothering to vote? Michigan has been "called" as a democrat's state for ages now. Even John McCain gave up on us and canceled all campaigning pretty much as soon as he was officially nominated. So here I am, looking at taking a toddler to stand in line for perhaps 2 hours, trying to keep her happy and not annoy the daylights of those around me to exercise a right that I am very lucky to have... but why? Regardless of who I plan to vote for, I have already "won" or "lost" without lifting a finger.

The media is so excited about this election that they have been coloring in their little maps for a long while. As far as I can tell, unless we live in Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio or Virginia, we don't really matter. And then I wonder, when it is still 7:30 on the west coast tonight and all of those people are still standing in line to exercise their right to vote and the anchors on NBC, CNN, etc are already calling the election as over, what keeps them in line and not home eating dinner? Statistically, they may as well enjoy their chicken and potatoes, right?

Last week, on the way to work, I heard an interview with a moderator of one of the debates. He was talking about how this "was" a long race and how it "is" interesting that the White House, Senate and House are all run by democrats now. Seriously... why bother?

This all really ticks me off. I wish that the media would just stinking let it happen as it happens. Don't make our decisions for us. And for heaven's sake, don't keep imploring people to vote, saying how much it matters and then in the next breath call the election as over when no votes have even been counted.

I'm going to go... I'll make a full effort to vote because way too many people have made sacrifices so that I can. And because there are plenty of other things on the ballot waiting to be decided. And, finally, because I do think it is important. I just wish I wasn't being told that my decision has been made for me.

I'm done. Thanks for humoring me.

4 comments:

val said...

you are a brave and committed woman to stand in line to vote with a one year old in tow!

Jen said...

Well, I went... it only took 35 minutes and I feel good having gone and voiced my opinions. Ella did great. The novel experience and "I Voted" sticker helped keep her attention!

Jen said...

Not to make light of your post and feelings, but free coffee and donut? More motivation?? :) I'm glad everything went fine.

Jen said...

Not sure where the coffee and donut were, but that would have made me feel better!