Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Loaves and fishes
All of you nursing moms out there will surely relate to this. We are having a milk crisis. At one point, not long ago, I had 50 ounces of milk in the freezer. I was confident -- over-confident, actually -- about this surplus, and I let my trusty Medela (and myself) take a break. Then there were the few squandered ounces. Oh, how I tried to communicate to those in charge of bottles for Ella just how precious those ounces of liquid gold were. Now there are but 15 ounces left, just under 4 bottles worth, and I am working longer days, each perhaps requiring 3-4 bottles. So I am urging my poor body to produce like crazy to keep us afloat. This has required an abundance of water, snacks at odd hours and many, many appointments with the Medela (one at 5 am). I am sore. I am tired. The supply is not what I would hope. And yet, with a lot of effort and a smidge of extra water, I managed to eke out three bottles for today. I can understand why many working moms end up going with formula, but I am determined to tough it out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Hang in there my friend, or should i say valiant warrior. It takes days, even a week or more to increase your supply.
Post a Comment